Afrikaans |  Home | Weather | Other Services | Contact Us | Advertise | Links | For Sale  

Provinces:
Eastern Cape
Free State
Gauteng
Kwazulu-Natal
Mpumalanga
Northern Cape
Northern Province
North West
Western Cape


Subscribe to our
mailing list to get
regular travel news.

Enter your details
here:




 


 

FOR SALE:
Flexi-Club Holiday points - contact cell.08 237 237 77

 

Pepper-potFraserburg 

Fraserburg, together with Williston and Sutherland, forms part of the Karoo Highland Municipality.

The Gansfontein  palaeo-surface, discovered in 1968, is one of the most clear ever discovered in the Karoo. Karoo fossils are famous for providing the most complete evolutionary  record  in the world, documenting the change from reptile to mammal. Tracks of (amongst others) a Dinosephaliėr/Bradysaurus may be seen. 

Anglo-Boer War mass grave, De Vlei,  where nine British soldiers lie buried.  They were killed by a Boer commando in April 1902, when they off-saddled to  rest a while.  In the town cemetery are also the graves of three soldiers, who perished  in Oukloof  Pass  during a skirmish with Boers who would not honour the peace declaration.  

Meyburg Street.   The Pepper-pot : This six-sided structure, unique in South Africa, has become the symbol of Fraserburg. It was built by Adam Jacobs in 1861.  The bell was rung whenever fire broke out, as well as serving as the evening curfew bell, rung at nine p.m. when all Coloureds were expected to be out of the town. Even after the curfew was no longer required,  the bell continued to be rung  at this time until the 1950s.

AG Visser and his wife, Lettie  
A great drought in 1877 forced the parents of AG Visser  to leave their family farm in Carnarvon,  and seek alternative grazing for their animals. They trekked to the farm Zaaifontein in the Fraserburg  district. Because there were too many young people in the homestead, AG Visser was born in a tent, prepared especially for that purpose, under a pear tree.  His epitaph, inscribed on an open marble book, is a quotation from a poem dedicated to his late wife, Lettie:  Goddank vir jou. (God be thanked for you)

Kerkplaas  
The ruins of the small church built by the Rev J J Kicherer  regarded as  the first mission  station in the north-west Karoo  as well as those of the home of Willem Frederik Krugel,  may still be seen.  The latter was banned from Graaff-Reinet because of his participation in the Slagtersnek Rebellion in 1815.  

Waterfall in Theekloof. When Fraserburg was first established, there were only three roads leading down from the plateau. These were Oukloof Pass in the direction of Beaufort West;  Komsberg  Pass to the Little Roggeveld, and the Posje Pass  which,  according to tradition, followed the post coach route to Aberdeen.   The road to Amandelboom was built in 1874. Theekloof was surveyed by Thomas Bain in 1879.

The name Theekloof  is derived  from the  tea which was made from mistletoe (Viscum rotundifolium)  growing on the Karee trees in the kloof. Again according to tradition, a bridegroom on his way to his wedding in Oudtshoorn, and driving a coach and four, pitched headlong down the kloof during a cloudburst when the horses shied at the mass of water in front of them.       

For further info: Karoo Highland Info Centre, tel. 023-5711265

Accommodation:

  • Witfontein Guestfarm

  • De Posjes 4x4 trail

  • Die Tuishuis

  • Polla’s Place

  • Highschool Flat (Selfcatering)

Augrabies National Park
Barkly West
Calvinia
Colesberg
Delportshoop
Fraserburg
Kakamas
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Kimberley
Kuruman
Modder River
Namaqualand
Nooitgedacht
Pella
Sutherland

Upington
Victoria West
Williston

Witsand

4x4 Routes

 

AfrikaansHome | Weather | Other Services | Contact Us | Advertise | Links

PAIA

This page was last updated on 07 June 2009
© Africa4U  All rights reserved